Five months since I use WordPress for my blog and still learning how to optimize and get the best of it. A wide range of plugins and themes are the one that suit me most, and this is the list of plugins that currently use in this blog, maybe one of them is the one that you need, who knows?
- Akismet: Akismet checks your comments against the Akismet web service to see if they look like spam or not.
- All in One SEO Pack: Out-of-the-box SEO for your WordPress blog
- Contact Form ][: is a drop-in form that allows site visitors to contact you.
- Exec-PHP: Allows <?php ?> tags inside the content or excerpt of your posts and pages to be executed just as in usual PHP files
- FeedBurner FeedSmith: Official FeedBurner plugin detects all ways to access your original WordPress feeds and redirects them to your FeedBurner feed so you can track every possible subscriber.
- Get Recent Comments: Display the most recent comments or trackbacks with your own formatting in the sidebar.
- Google (XML) Sitemaps: This generator will create a sitemaps.org compliant sitemap of your WordPress blog which is supported By Google, MSN Search and YAHOO.
- Live Comment Preview: Activate to supply users with a live comment preview.
- MyDashboard: This plugin provides a replacement ajax based Dashboard for WordPress.
- No Self Pings: Keeps WordPress from sending pings to your own site.
- Popularity Contest: This will enable ranking of your posts by popularity; using the behavior of your visitors to determine each post?s popularity.
- Related Entries: Returns a list of the related entries based on active/passive keyword matches.
- Search Hilite: When someone is referred from a search engine like Google, Yahoo, or WordPress? own, the terms they search for are highlighted with this plugin.
- SEO Title Tag: Search engine optimize your blog?s title tags.
- Share This: Let your visitors share a post/page with others. Supports e-mail and posting to social bookmarking sites.
- Simple Tagging: Simple Tagging is another tagging plugin for WordPress: smarter, better, faster.
- Sitemap Tags: Add all SimpleTagging tag URLs to your Google Sitemap.
- Snap Shots? Plugin: Add Snap Shots to your blog.
- Subscribe To Comments: Allows readers to receive notifications of new comments that are posted to an entry.
- the_excerpt Reloaded: This mod of WordPress? template function the_excerpt() knows there is no spoon.
- What Would Seth Godin Do: Displays a custom welcome message to new visitors, like persuade visitor to subscribe to your feed.
- WordPress.com Stats: Tracks views, post/page views, referrers, and clicks.
- wp-cache: Very fast cache module.
- WP-Syntax: Syntax highlighting using GeSHi supporting a wide range of popular languages.
- WP-UserOnline: Enable you to display how many users are online on your WordPress blog with detailed statistics of where they are and who there are(Members/Guests/Search Bots).
- WP Grins: A Clickable Smilies hack for WordPress.
The best site that provide us with a news about new plugins and themes release is Weblog Tools Collection, so I suggest you to subscribe to their feed, and start building your own list.